With the New Year beginning, what better time to decide to go green? If going green is on your list of resolutions this year, we are here to help!
We’ve compiled a few tips on how to go green in 2016:
- Switch your lights out for florescent lights.
- Incandescent lights use more energy than florescent. They also produce more heat, meaning your air conditioning will have to work harder to keep your home cool in the summer.
- Wash clothes with warm or cold water.
- The majority of clothes don’t need to be washed in hot water. Wash what you can in cold or warm water and save your water heater from working harder than it needs to.
- Hang dry your clothes.
- Give your dryer a break and hang your clothes to dry. Bonus, they are less likely to shrink!
- Turn off the sink water while you brush your teeth.
- Running the water while you brush is a big water waster. You can save a few gallons a day just by turning it off while you brush.
- Turn off anything that uses light at night.
- If you have any electronics that glow throughout the night, switch them off if you can. Though it’s a small amount, it still uses electricity.
- Recycle old electronics.
- They contain chemicals that can be hazardous to the environment, recycle them to keep them out of the landfill.
- Opt for reusable grocery bags instead of plastic.
- Plastic is not biodegradable and making its way into the environment where it doesn’t belong.
- Turn your furnace down to 55 while you are sleeping or away.
- This will save energy and save you valuable money.
- Make the switch to solar energy.
- Switching to solar will not only reduce your monthly utility bills, but it is better for the environment. The sun comes up every day and is always available as a source of energy. Traditional energy burns fossil fuels which hurts the environment.
These tips should help you start your New Year off right by helping you to become more green. If you are ready to become even more green by switching to solar, give us a call today at 916.853.2700.